Monday, October 20, 2008

Ramblings.....

"Autumn carries more gold in its hand than all the other seasons." Jim Bishop

...still waiting for the leaves to change color here in the Deep South, but autumn is certainly in the air! I just got back from my morning walk and it was so invigorating out there. Having grown up in South Florida where the seasons are pretty much all the same, I have a real appreciation for the changes that I experience here in Alabama. Moderate, but changes nonetheless. I do love this time of the year!

*********************************************************************

I am trying to do my part for the earth by using my own cloth bags when I go to the grocery store. The only problem is that I usually forget to take them in with me when I go shopping. So much for helping the environment...Maybe I should hang them on my rear view mirror!?!

*********************************************************************

Dave made a beer can chicken last night and it was delicious. If you aren't familiar with this method of cooking...you basically "sit" the chicken on an opened can of beer and then slowly cook it. The idea is that the beer steams inside of the chicken making for juicy, tender meat. I figure that it is a "win-win" situation in that the meal comes out great...and the chicken goes down happily. *hic*

*********************************************************************

I noticed that Eva Longoria was wearing a familiar-looking bright colored top last night on the show. I realized that I have the same top! But, it looked a whole lot better on her.

*********************************************************************

I have cleaned out and packed away my hummingbird feeders until they return next year. I miss seeing those little beauties....but, hope that they are enjoying the warmth as they fly South. : )

*********************************************************************

Well, I am going to get my flu shot tomorrow afternoon. Last year my arm was sore for a whole week afterwards...hopefully that will not happen again this year. I guess that a sore arm is a whole lot easier to handle than being laid up in bed with the flu for a week or so.

*********************************************************************

I bought two pumpkins this weekend. Dave and I have our tradition of carving them together and I thought that we'd do them this week. I won't say that it is a competition to see who carves the best-looking pumpkin...but...we do try and out-do each other each year. Afterwards, I roast the seeds. Mmmmmm. Who says that Halloween is just for children?

Of course this holiday does bring about the great "candy buying dilemma"...do I purchase candy that I like so that I can enjoy any that is left over? Or, do I purposely buy something that I know that I won't eat if it is left? I go through this every year...and, usually end up with the candy I like. : )

*********************************************************************

Have yourself a wonderul autumn day!

xoxo

2 comments:

Granny Annie said...

Your entry makes me want to savor this beautiful day, but I have awakwened with the plague of some kind and can barely stand up. We haven't had our flu shots, so hope it isn't the flu.

We miss Halloween trick-or-treaters here. Not a one has shown up tha past two years. Our house sits far back from the road and I don't think I would come here trick-or-treating either.

Winifred said...

I have the same problem and then also trying to remember to put the bags back into the car.

Hope your flu jab doesn't cause you any problems this year but as you say, better this than flu and its possible consequences.