Saturday, December 06, 2008

Stuff.

Dave and I braved the shopping crowd this afternoon as we headed to Costco. (Crazy, eh?)There was an incredible sale on a plasma, flat screen tv, and we wanted to check it out before the sale was over.

We have been talking about replacing my dinosaur of a tv in my great room for some time now and have been looking out for good deals. Dave had done some research...so we were ready to go.

The old tv in there now is starting to look like it is 'raining' on certain channels. It is one of those ancient televisions that is deeper than it is wide. It probably weighs 300 lbs. as compared with the newer flat screens that are nice and lightweight.

Well, we ended up getting it... and, then the 'fun' began. Between the box and the fact that it was a 42 inch screen....it was quite awkward maneuvering it into the car. And, getting it into the house was even more challenging.

But, we did it...and got it working just in time to see the Alabama vs. Florida game. Dave was giddy with delight watching football in the HD mode...

Now, if we could just figure out what to do with the dinosaur...

**************************************************************************

Talking about that game....having graduated from the University of Florida but having lived in Alabama for the last 30 some years of my life....I was in a bit of a quandary. Which team to root for? I chose Alabama....

They lost.... : (

**************************************************************************

Why is it that whenever I return from being out of town the first thing that I do is rush to the grocery store and stock up on every vegetable in the place? Maybe it is because while I am away I tend to not eat as healthily (is that a word?) as I do at home...so to make up for it....I go a little crazy.

I also bought a turkey breast...came home, made cornbread stuffing (MMMmmmmm) and cooked it. I know, you are saying, "Didn't you just have a huge turkey dinner while in Minneapolis?". Yes, I did....but, there is something about making it in your own home and filling the house with that wonderful turkey fragrance. Dave and I enjoyed it Thursday night....and we will be enjoying it again tomorrow night. Ah, Thanksgiving...the holiday that just keeps on going...

*************************************************************************

My sons, Jeffrey and Adam decided to get their baby girls together for a visit....so, this weekend, Adam and Audrey (Owen was home with Mommy Jenny!) flew in to MD to visit. The earlier reports say that they like each other....but, haven't really 'done' much yet. Since they are both under 6 months of age, I guess that is to be expected! I can't wait to take the two of them shopping and for manicures one day. After all, I am a mom to two boys....girls have become a bit of a rarity between me and my sisters! (They have promised me pictures of the two cousins together...and I can't wait!)

*************************************************************************

Watching the American Music Awards last week, I realized that I am older than dirt. The kids are 16 years old and they have incredible singing careers already.

Dave and I watched a little of the red carpet show before the awards and learned two new words: "fly" and "stellar"...both of which mean very good. What happened to "cool" and "groovy"???

Dating myself, aren't I?

****************************************************************************

Mom is really becoming quite the 'angel of the home' down in Florida. It seems that she continues to rescue people who have lost their way...steering them in the right direction. You see, the 'home' has several numbered buildings...but, once inside, the apartments are numbered the same in each building. This causes a lot of confusion amongst the residents as you can imagine.

She told me that the other day there was a loud knock at her door. She looked out the peephole but didn't see anyone there. The knock occurred again so she slowly opened the door to find a very jovial gentleman in a wheelchair looking at her with a puzzled look on his face.

"What are you doing in my apartment?" he said.

She explained that it wasn't his apartment and then found out that he was in the apartment with the same number...BUT, in a different building. She is determined to get this confusing situation worked out with the bigwigs in the 'home' when she goes to her next "Welcome Committee" meeting.

Watch out world! Mom is on a mission!! : )

****************************************************************************

I am drowning in catalogs these days! Anyone else having this issue? I get about 5-8 a day. I enjoy looking through some of them...but, this is getting a bit out of hand. They must have a secret club where the word gets out if you purchase something from one of them....I may have to go into a witness protection program if this gets any worse.

****************************************************************************

Have a nice rest of the weekend everyone! XOXO

3 comments:

Tabor said...

Enjoyed reading your post and could almost smell turkey again. Yes, I am sick of the catalogs, but will in heaven next month when the seed catalogs start arriving.

JeanMac said...

Terrific post! Enjoy your new TV.

Beverly said...

Your mom must be one neat lady.

It's Sunday night, and I just finished watching the movie about Mr. Cohen. What a great story. My eyes are still red. I had planned to watch it, but it menas so much more because you all know him.