Thursday, February 12, 2009

The elephant in the suitcase

There's going to be an elephant in my suitcase when I leave for Minneapolis next Wednesday.

"An elephant?" you ask. : O

It seems that I had great intentions during my most recent Skype (webcam) episode with Owen, my 2 yrs. 4+ month old grandson. I thought that it would be cute (and educational?) to ask him what he thought Grammie should pack in her suitcase next week before flying to see him. My expectation was that we could discuss all of the things that one needs for a trip....especially a trip to the tundra, glacial, freezing cold little bit chilly city in Minnesota where my kids live. Scarves, hats, gloves, jackets....as well as the necessities like toothpaste, shampoo, etc. etc. My elementary education degree was starting to show as I began my "lesson" with my grandson.

"So, Owen, what do you think I should put in my suitcase?" I innocently asked. (not recalling the massive imagination that he has....[as well as most kids his age] )....

"Ummmm," he pondered my question for a while.

With a huge grin on his face he finally answered; "An elephant!!!".

I could tell that he was quite proud of his clever answer.

"An elephant, huh!?!" I said. Hoping to catch him a little offguard, I continued; "A big one?"

He laughed and replied, "No, a little one!".

AlrightythenwhathaveIdone?.....I thought to myself. I guess that Grammie needs to go and find an elephant to pack into the suitcase for next week.

That sounds easy, doesn't it? Well, trying to find an inexpensive and packable elephant turned out to be quite a challenge.

Three toy stores later, I finally found my elephant.

I can't wait to laugh with Owen when Grammie takes it out of the suitcase to surprise him!

3 comments:

Tabor said...

I think you should hide it in a sock!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I love it. Wish I had it. It makes me smile.

Beverly said...

Thanks for this post. I'll know never to ask Ella what she wants me to bring in my suitcase!