Sunday, February 08, 2009

I tied the knot(s)!

I love a project that allows me to be creative!

While visiting a friend after her recent surgery, I loved the knotted fleece blanket that someone had made her.

So, yesterday, I headed down to the fabric store to attempt to make two of them: one for Celia and one for Audrey. (Owen was the recent recipient of a Thomas the Train blanket from me...thus, I knew that he would understand not getting one of these!)

I spent a huge chunk of time trying to pick out the perfect fleece pattern for each of my granddaughters...finally settling on a ladybug print for Audrey and a Nursery Rhyme pattern for Celia. Both of them would be matched with this very soft pink fabric.

If you've never heard of these no-sew blankets...they are basically two pieces of fleece (or other soft material) laid back to back....one inch wide fringe is cut all around...and then knotted. Pretty easy....and absolutely beautiful and fun when finished!

Here are some pictures of the finished products with a bit of the pink underside showing in some.

They are nice and snuggly and full of Grammie love! : )

(if you would like more detailed instructions on how to make these...just leave a comment and an email address....and I will send the directions out to you!)

8 comments:

Beverly said...

Those are so cute. Ella has one, and once when I was there, I commented on how much I liked it. Sabrina's friend, Meg, was there. She said, "I'm glad you like it. I'm the one who made it.

One of our ladies' groups at church made them for soldiers in red, white, and blue. They were striking.

Clara....in TN said...

Those are so pretty. Do you do any stitching at all in the center or does it automatically stay together? I would like to make one.

Grandma Mary said...

I have made many of these but wondered what size you usually make them for babies. I do foster care and every child gets one when they come and get to take the blanket with them when they leave our care. So far I have only made a few.
As a grandma, I enjoy your site so much. Thanks!!

flowingwithlife said...

The blankets are great. I would so much like to have further instructions on how to make them. Presently, I am away from my home in Ensenada, Baja and would enjoy having a project to do. There are many material shops here in La Paz, Baja and perhaps I could find some unique materials. Thanks a bunch. Very interesting, I could have written the info "about me"...with the one exception. I don't drink squeezed orange juice...but the squeezed grapefruit juice is great here.

L. said...

Thank you all for your comments...I have posted two sites for further info on making these wonderful blankets. I hope that they are helpful to those of you who have asked questions.

Nana...I have tried to get on your blog but it does not seem to work even after clicking on your link. Please advise. Thanks!
Thanks for visiting!
xoxo

flowingwithlife said...

Actually, I started to do the blog for my grandson in England, then after talking to my daughter, we decided to wait a while and to continue with letter writing.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

You are talented. Now that I am healing I just want to garden and dig in the dirt. Thank you so much for your healing thougts sent my way.

Beverly said...

i made quilts for my first two grandchildren, but just could not do it for the third. however, i might could do this. and oh so soft...