Thursday, February 19, 2009

So far....so good!

The trip to Minneapolis didn't start out so well....

I received a call at 3:30 a.m. from Delta airlines telling me that my 6:45 a.m. flight was going to be moved to 7:45...but, I still needed to be at the airport by 5:45. HUH?

Well, I arrived when I was supposed to....we boarded at around 7:50....and then sat on the plane for a couple of hours without taking off! It seems that the weather in Atlanta...(my first stop) was bad and things were backed up.

After the first hour of being "held captive" on the plane.... I looked into my carry-on bag and noted that I had several dozen homemade oatmeal cookies that I had baked the night before to take to the kids. Realizing that everyone was probably getting hungry (and irritated!) at this point...I made the decision to walk up and down the aisle and give out my cookies. People seemed surprised at first..but really appreciated this gesture...so, that was good (Delta airlines owes me big time!!). Of course, I would have to make another batch of cookies upon my arrival into MN...but, that was okay.

So, to make a long story short.....I missed my connection....got on a later flight....and arrived at MN several hours later than expected....There was Mimi (the other grandma!) awaiting my arrival. We hugged tightly and laughed as we both knew that journey that we were about to embark on.....

Move ahead to today.....all is well....we have survived our first day with the two grandkids. We decided to put Audrey into daycare....and keep Owen with us. Between the feeding and the changing and the organizing...it took us quite a while to get going (we wondered how our kids did all of this AND went to work full time!)...but, we finally got on the road and the day began!

We took Owen for a haircut.....lunch out at McDonald's....and a little playtime at the Mall....Back in the car and heading to pick up Audrey from daycare---totally unprompted---Owen suddenly said, "This was a great day!"...

Mimi and I looked at each other......sighed......and realized at that very moment that no matter how exhausting this was going to be.....it was the start of an absolutely wonderful experience that we will treasure forever.

One day down...six more to go..... : )

3 comments:

Tabor said...

What a precious first day with Owen to spoil. I know exactly how you are feeling.

Beverly said...

What a neat gesture on the plane! We must have traveled the same day. I wasn't delayed, but a lot of flights were being canceled out of Charlottesville, and then when I got to Charlotte, the weather was nasty. I made it home right on time, though.

What wonderful memories you were able to make with Owen. How nice that you and the other gramdma get along so well and can share in this time.

Your time will go quickly, and you'll be tired when it's done, but it is so worth it. I'm still recuperating from my week with Ella, but I'd go back in a flash, in fact I am in April.

Beverly said...

Oh I hope you and Mimi make it. I did the same thing with Memaw with Lily and Forrest for two weeks while they went to Germany. It was hard, but nice to be with the babies.
Have fun...