Saturday, February 21, 2009

One day at an indoor park, one music class and a funeral...

Well, the "Screaming Greemies" have now finished day three of the "Great Babysitting Adventure" and are still barely alive and kicking.

OK. Truth be told, we are exhausted. Happy, delighted, loving every minute of it.....but nonetheless-exhausted. I know what you are all saying: "That is why one has babies when they are young"...and, you are right.....it's the absolute truth!

Yesterday was spent at an incredible indoor park. There are quite a few of these in MN since the winters are so harsh. The first room was a huge gymnasium filled with toddlers running, gliding, rolling, throwing balls, jumping, squealing with delight....etc. etc. The minute we got there Owen was off and running. It was pure heaven to him having all of this free space that was actually heated and toasty.

The next section was filled with all kinds of climbing apparatus, sliding boards of all types....as well as little "games" to play with spinning tiles, etc. It was pretty frenetic in there, so, of course Grammie climbed up the rope ladder (!!) to follow behind Owen to make sure that he was okay. Once up at the top I realized that I could not get my body any higher than a crawl as this whole contraption was geared toward little people. I kept saying to myself (and anyone else who would listen), "I am too old for this!"...But, it was such a joy to watch Owen having a great time...so I stayed with it. Mimi was in charge of waiting and watching from down below as he came down the slide time and time again. She got some great pictures that I will post when I return home for a good laugh.

This morning we got both kids fed, changed, and dressed and headed out early to Owen's music class. (OH, did I mention that it snowed late yesterday and into the night??) The Alabama gal (me) who never has driven in snow before did all of the driving....v-e-r-y slowly...People behind me were getting a bit annoyed....but, I had precious cargo inside and wanted to be careful. I'm sure that they were muttering "Southerner!" under their breath as they followed behind me....

Anyway, the music class is held in a church. As we all walked inside, the place was filled with mourners attending a funeral...which included an open casket. We whisked Audrey and Owen into the music room as quickly as we could so as not to disrupt the Service....and to keep them from viewing things that they might not understand! : O

The music class consisted of young parents and their toddlers....several fathers were there, a couple of mom's and then.....The Greemies! The teacher did several musical exercises with the kids....they got to play "instruments"....roll balls to music....dance and sing....and, again, Grammie was right there with Owen...doing it all...and, then some. It was pretty much constant motion. Mimi was there with Audrey who was on her lap "jumping" all around and enjoying every moment of Owen's class...

It was another wonderfully fabulous day with the grandkids....but you may now understand why we are both heading to bed early tonight....

...tomorrow's another day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grammie,
Hope you are getting some rest. we love you and are thinking about you (and our kids...kids-what kids???) as we sip pina coladas from the swim up bar...

thanks again for allowing us to do this and see you in a couple of days! Hope you're still standing. :-)

Winifred said...

Looks like you're enjoying it. It's exhausting looking after little ones. I keep wondering how did I manage to do this, but then I remember I was 40 years younger.

However it's really precious time, they seem to grow much quicker than your own children did.

Jana said...

How wonderful, I'm totally jealous! How nice of the kids to go away for a week and let the Grammies have run of the place!