Monday, February 16, 2009

TV, phone, and Internet down for 12 hours...(gasp!)

As we settled in to watch "Desperate Housewives" last night, suddenly the tv went dark.

"Has the world come to an end?" we wondered.

Since I 'bundle' my services with Charter, this also meant that my phone stopped working and the Internet was shut down.

What is a person to do?!?!

Dave asked me if I had an old-fashioned tv antenna around...and, after a quick search I actually came up with two of these antiquities. So, he immediately began to try and get a signal on any one of my televisions. He was a man on a mission....

He worked on this for quite a while...hooking these contraptions up....trying different positions with the antenna, etc..... until he was finally able to get a very fuzzy black and white picture on the bedroom tv. The sound went in and out as did the blurry picture....especially if you walked by the tv.

The whole process made me realize the reality of being addicted to television.

I decided to get some other things done...so, I began to gather clothing together for my trip Wednesday. I actually got most of my packing done!

I realized just how much I could accomplish without the distractions of the tv, phone, and computer. It was amazing. It made me really grasp how much time I spend watching tv, talking on the phone, and browsing the Internet.

I have to admit. I kind of liked it....especially, the quiet.

...but, don't tell Dave.... : )

2 comments:

Tabor said...

For some reason my 'connection' would not let me respond to your post! Yes, we watch too much TV, but only have it on about 30 mins. in the morning and then not on until after dinner. Even then it takes up lots of time.

Winifred said...

Totally agree with you. I'm sure that's how I don't get much done. Never mind roll on those lovely, long, light nights when I don't watch as much telly and I'm sure I won't blog as much either! Well you can always kid yourself can't you.