Sunday, March 08, 2009

Sunday Stuff

My internal clock gets so confused when the time changes in the spring. The older I get, the longer it takes me to get acclimated to losing that hour. I have hardly gotten my day started and it is already noon!

...And, I thought that time was passing way too quickly already...!

**********************************************************************

As Dave and I were on our way out the other night he received a phone call from his nephew in Delaware telling him that, "his mom was missing!" (!!!!) It seems that her caretaker had to be away for the weekend and another family member had gone over to check on her. When they arrived, she was nowhere to be seen...and, the car was gone. Fearing the worst, the police were called.As you can imagine, Dave was quite concerned as we anxiously awaited news from home.

About a half an hour later he got word that his mom was safe and sound visiting with her granddaughter and her kids. I'm sure that she wondered what all the fuss was about! We are still not sure whether she drove herself over there or not...but, thankfully this story had a good ending.

*********************************************************************

I keep putting off the inevitable chore of gathering my tax information together. To say that I hate doing this would be quite an understatement.

I have decided that today is the day! Of course, with daylight savings time in effect, I may not have the time...! heh heh : )

********************************************************************

Another story from mom at "The Home". This one is actually a bit scary. It seems that a virus (?) with some flu-like symptoms was going around. They said that this particular strain was not responding to the protection of the flu shots that many of us got this year. Nine people were taken to the hospital and the rest of the home was put into total quarantine. The kitchen staff cooked and brought food up to each resident's room at mealtime and people were asked not to leave their apartments.When all was said and done, a total of 22 residents had taken ill...

The quarantine has been lifted and things are back to normal now...and, hopefully, all 22 have recovered.

Thankfully, my mom did not get the virus that was being spread around....

Another interesting week at "The Home". **sigh**

*******************************************************************

I will be driving into Atlanta this Wednesday to attend a book "launch party" for a dear friend of mine. She has been working on this book for quite a while now and it has finally been published.

The book is a step by step informational guide for businesses and it is called: "Driven to Success". My friend used the automobile as a way to explain her strategies. The party is being held at a Mercedes-Benz dealership in the city....clever, eh??!?! I'm looking forward to it...

******************************************************************

My granddaughter, Audrey is crawling now...and her brother, Owen is wearing pull-ups. Celia is sitting up and reaching for things in that position.

These are exciting times in my family. ******************************************************************

More plumbing problems here at home. First, the soapy water from the washing machine was coming up through the downstairs toilet. That has been fixed...(we think). Of course, I am afraid to do any laundry right now...even though it is piling up. Today might have to be the day...

Secondly, the commode in the master bedroom started to make a squishy sound when you would sit down on it. I checked around the bottom of it and saw that there was a little bit of water down there. (This couldn't be a good sign...) I looked online, sent the info to Dave, my private plumber (ha!) and, fools that we are, decided to tackle this project ourselves. So, I went to Home Depot to ask an "expert" there what I needed to purchase. Well, there was a shortage of "experts" that day...so, I began a discussion with two salesmen who had no idea what to do. Luckily, there was a gentleman standing nearby who overheard my plight and offered some suggestions for me.

"Are you a plumber?" I questioned this kind customer.

"Yes," he answered, "I do a little bit of everything."

"How much would you charge to fix my commode" I then asked.

"About $50.00" he said.

"Wow", I thought to myself....knowing that I couldn't get a plumber into my house for under a couple of hundred dollars...."You've got yourself a job!"

To make a long story short....he came out with another man that afternoon, removed the toilet...replaced the wax ring of some sort....put everything back in place...and left me a happy woman.

Unfortunately, the story doesn't end there as I heard that ominous squishy (ewww) sound again yesterday and saw some water around the bottom of the commode again.

He'll be back out here tomorrow morning.

Aaack.

****************************************************************

Well, I better go and get started sorting my !!&?!#$%#%!! tax materials before the day is over.....

XOXO

1 comment:

Tabor said...

Finished pulling the paperwork together yesterday. We have someone do our taxes this year for a number of reasons...but I still have to fill out the forms, etc. I am putting all in the mail on Monday and that will be a big relief.