Friday, March 06, 2009

A time for bringing simplicity back....

"Simplicity is making the journey of this life with just baggage enough." Charles Warner

"I believe the art of living consists not so much in complicating simple things as in simplifying things that are not." Francois Hertel

"Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity." Thor Heyerdahl

As I observe what is going on in the financial world today, I feel a range of emotions.

Like everyone, I am extremely concerned about my dwindling finances. Being a divorced woman in my 60's, I don't feel as though I have time on my side as far as recouping my losses. I worry about the future and all of the things that getting older bring along with it...I especially don't want to be a burden to my children in my later years...and this haunts me the most.

That all being said, the reality is that we are in a crisis that is not going to be remedied overnight...in fact, it will probably be years before things begin to improve.

It is what it is...and now the bigger question for each of us is how we are going to cope with "it".

If one really looks deeply, there is a positive that may come out of all of this (yes, I have my rose-colored glasses on today). To me, this is a time to go back to simplicity in our lives. A time to get rid of the excess and put emphasis on the things that are really important.

This isn't too big of a stretch for me, in that I believe that I have pretty much always appreciated the simple pleasures around me. I didn't grow up in a family that was financially well off... we always shared bedrooms, hand-me-down clothing, etc. etc. ....and, have spent much of my life living pretty frugally. However, like all of us in my age range (there are some of you out there, right?!) the last ten years or so have been a time of "plenty" for many of us. We took a lot of things for granted....used our charge cards to get things without batting an eye...and didn't worry that much about the future as we had some of our money in the stock market....and, that was safe, right?!?!

Well, things have changed for all of us to one degree or another and now we need to reassess and make those personal changes to move ahead and still enjoy a quality of life. The answer came to me as I viewed one of my pieces of pottery hanging up. It simply says "simplify". That little word may hold the key for our survival in the years ahead...

Instead of going out to dinner, we will be doing more cooking at home...experiencing the pleasures of a home-cooked meal with the people we love. I'm even hosting a "Recession Pot Luck Supper" over here in a few weeks so that we can laugh at our "plight" and just enjoy being together with friends.

We need to once again find pleasures right outside our doors in and in homes....things that money can't buy....birds singing joyfully around our filled bird feeders....the beauty of springtime as the blooms begin to sneak out of their winter homes....finding a comfy place to read a great book with a warm cup of tea...bringing out those old board games again and having fun with a little competitive spirit....planting a herb garden...learning how to repair things in our homes on our own before calling in the expensive "experts"...slowing down our purchasing of more things to fill spaces that are already bursting with enough...finding joy in creating instead of just buying...Doing more breathing....sighing.....laughing....connecting.....experiencing.....living.

If we can all embrace simplicity once more, I think that we can truly find that silver lining.

And, it won't cost a thing...

2 comments:

Tabor said...

We will survive. Many of us without too much pain, just looking at life more simply. My travel plans are curtailed in retirement, but I can find plenty of free things to fill my time.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts exactly. I came from a family that lived frugally also and my best memories were picnics on California backroads, family dinners in the backyard with kids running around until dark enveloped the yard, parties at home where people could easily talk and sit comfortably while appreciating Mom's good cooking. Today I visited my daughter in her new home and sat on the little patio eating a home cooked lunch in the spring sunshine. Hot dogs and chili on the beach at Bodega Bay and other family get togethers are the absolute best memories from my childhood.