Monday, August 24, 2009

As I sit here gulping down 8 ounces of water...

...I am continuing to read the instructions for taking once-a-month Boniva. You must "Take it first thing in the morning at least 1 hour before you eat, drink anything other than plain water, or take any other oral medicine. Take Boniva with 6-8 ounces of plain water....after taking wait at least one hour before lying down...etc. etc"

Yikes.

Another joy of aging.

This is my first dosage of this "bone-building" medication that the doctor prescribed after my bone density test showed that I am at the high end of the osteopenia range. Hopefully, this will keep me from eventually getting full-blown osteoporosis.

In the meantime, I am reading all of the possible side effects and waiting to see if any of them kick in. It is so silly to read these things in that our minds take over and we begin to experience every last one of them! I must stop doing that...

I'd rather focus on the fact that cute and adorable Sally Fields is the spokesperson for this product...and, maybe I will end up looking like her if I continue to take it... : )

**************************************************************************

Mom had a not-so-good trip back home to West Palm Beach after a nine day stay in Skaneatalas, NY with one of my sisters. Before getting all the way through security, she was frisked by a female attendant. Strange that they would pick an 86 year old woman to frisk...but, then stranger things have gone on in the security areas of our airports. The wand kept going off around her waist area, but they couldn't figure out what was setting it off. They finally figured out that it was a brass plate on her belt so they turned it around and all was good. What an ordeal that was for her...

The plane took off from Syracuse around 11 a.m. and headed to Philadelphia for the first stop. There she was faced with a several hour layover...but eventually got back on a plane heading home.

However, there were some very bad storms in the West Palm Beach area so they had to circle around for an hour and a half while waiting for the storms to move on. Now, at this point in the story, Mom insists that the plane was in the air...but, not moving. I said to her that unless she was on a helicopter, I doubt that this huge plane was hovering above the ground! I then asked her what she had to drink on the plane! (Of course, she didn't, but I felt the need to ask!) : O

She said that as the people were getting a bit edgy and anxious, there was this little 2-3 year old boy who kept making loud statements like: "Are we going to Mars?!" etc. I am sure that this did a lot to keep everyone calm...(!!)

The plane was diverted to Ft. Myers where they sat on the plane waiting for clearance to take off again as well as refueling. You know that all of that "hovering" used up a lot of gas...heh heh

Anyway, Mom finally arrived home around 9 o'clock that evening. L-O-N-G and exhausting day for her......but, glad that she arrived home safely.

***************************************************************************

Dave and I have started a little "Boggle Tournament" of our own for the last two weekends. (How's that for an exciting Saturday night?!) For those of you not familiar with Boggle, it is a word game where 16 (four-sided) lettered cubes are shaken in a closed box until they settle in a space. The small hourglass timer is turned over and you must write down as many 3 letter and above words that you can. The words can only be made from letters that are touching each other in the cube and cannot be used more than once.

Points are awarded for the words made according to how many letters you have used. It is interesting to see the different words that we each come up with. Dave laughs at me as I try to sneak in words that I have totally made up...like "yo" for instance. I make him look them up in the dictionary just to be sure...and, have even found a few of my made up words to actually be in there!

We are both pretty competitive...and so far we tied the first weekend...and then he beat me by 8 (measly) points this past Saturday.

I'm planning on a victory next weekend. So, watch out Davey boy!

**************************************************************************

As I stepped outside this morning to get the newspaper, I was delighted to feel the coolness in the air. The dew was cold on my toes as I walked on the grass in my flip flops. Humidity levels have dropped and it feels so great...I'm not sure how long this will last, but I can tell that autumn is getting close.

Ahhhh...

3 comments:

Tabor said...

We are awaiting a break in the weather here. Humidity is a little lower this week and that is good since my grandson is visiting us all week.

JeanMac said...

This morn I needed a light sweater to sit out and read the paper - it's coming!

listen for azure said...

I LOVE boggle. Can I come play??

It's beautiful and in the 80s in Portland right now. Cool mornings, followed by very manageable days of sun and clean air and clear skies.

When I move into a giant farmhouse toward the coast, you'll just have to come visit me, bring all the fams and have a nice, weeklong holiday on me.