Friday, August 21, 2009

Sssh...don't tell Owen....

....but, he is going to be getting this shiny new red bike for his birthday!

One of the many perks of being a grandmother is picking out special gifts for the grandkids.

Owen will be turning 3 (when did that happen?!?!?)on September 1st and has pretty much outgrown his tricycle....so, the grandparents all got together to purchase him a new two-wheeler bike complete with training wheels and, the all important bicycle bell!

Adam took him to a bike shop recently to have him unknowingly try some different size bikes out. This was the one that he fell in love with...but, he has no idea that it will be his...arriving on his actual birthday adorned with a big ribbon. Adam has promised videos of that day...since I won't be able to head back up to Minnesota for this occasion.

Oh, the memories that I have of bike riding when I was a little girl! I can still remember that wonderful feeling of freedom as I rode around the neighborhood with the wind in my face...sometimes quickly taking my hands off of the handlebars in a daredevil moment. If I was going downhill there was nothing better than to lift my legs off of the pedals and put them out to the side as I glided down the street.

I can also recall putting playing cards in between the spokes so that my bike sounded like a motorcycle. Such fun. And, what about those colorful streamers that would hang from the handlebars? Having a basket to hold all of your biking "necessities" was also so cool.

Ah, to be a little girl again...but, how nice to be a grandma knowing that my precious grandson will be starting to make his own bike memories soon... : )

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I wish that we worked together like this. Unfortunately the other grandparents always go ahead early and purchase the item and then we have to come up with something else, which of course, is not as significant!

listen for azure said...

I love the way your family shares in the joy and excitement of a special gift given together. The kids will remember that forever!

I hope I get lucky enough to be in that kind of family circle when my kids have families of their own!