Monday, August 17, 2009

Connections...

I went with several friends last night to the home where my friends and their family were gathered to mourn the loss of their father, grandfather, husband, uncle, and great-grandfather....

We were there to help serve the family dinner, clean up...and give hugs.

Walking into the house I couldn't help but notice the sweet sounds of family. The three great-granddaughters (all under 6 yrs. old with the youngest being 21 months) of the deceased were running around doing what they do best...being children. They were a constant reminder that life does go on for the living...and that the memories are to be cherished and celebrated.

Photo albums were around where we could look back through the years that this man lived...and lived, he did. He was always full of exuberance along with his zest for life...and, he will be greatly missed by his family, friends and community.

The connections that we make in life are of utmost importance. We are there for each other in the good times...as well as the not so good times. We remind each other that we are not alone in this great big world...and that we always have a soft place to land when necessary.

I watched the family members comfort each other as they remembered...at times laughing about some memory that brought them joy. I was taken outside by the daughter of the deceased where I was shown the incredibly beautiful backyard...including the fig trees where the accident took place. We walked down a path beyond the figs to a haven where an inviting double swing was sitting. "This was my dad's favorit spot," she explained. "This was where he found his peace."

While I have been close friends with the son and daughter-in-law for 30+ years, I only knew their dad from special family occasions and other community functions. I loved hearing stories about this bigger-than-life man...all the while realizing how we both loved many of the same things. It was then that I knew the real reason for the connections that we make in life. That is how one's true legacy is passed on...

At one point near the end of the evening, the three great-grandchildren turned on their tiny little cd player and began to entertain all of us by singing and "dancing" to the music of High School Musical. As I left the house that night, the rain was starting to fall outside...and, I couldn't help but wish that their great-grandpa could have seen them perform.

But, then I thought........ maybe he did.

3 comments:

Tabor said...

I am sure that somewhere grandpa is smiling.

listen for azure said...

I believe that grampas like that have special angel duty. I often think mine is watching over me and smiling.

Beverly said...

I think maybe he saw it all, all the friends and family there to celebrate his life, and mourn his passing. I too think so much of the ones who have gone, and the new ones coming along afterwards. I look at my grandchildren and wish my mom had known them.But, like you said, maybe she does. Wonderful post.