Tuesday, August 18, 2009

While eating my multi-grain Cheerios....

My thoughts over breakfast this morning were mostly about the sadly beautiful funeral service yesterday for my friend's father. The four grandchildren all got up and spoke about their "Pop Pop". They told personal stories about this wonderful man and the gifts of love that they had each received from him.

To sum up the personality of this man and to add a little levity to the service, as the pallbearers walked the casket out, a recording of the deceased singing and playing his ukelele was played.

I have a feeling that is exactly how he would have wanted his funeral to end.

******************************************************************************

I just loaded my kiln with the now-painted bowls that I did on the wheel a few weeks ago. Some of them were a bit thick and heavy, so I will be anxious to see if they all make it through this firing. Since I mostly hand-build my pottery, throwing on the wheel was a new experience for me. I will have to wait until morning to see how it all turns out...Cross your fingers that there aren't any "blow ups" in the kiln! Stay tuned.

*****************************************************************************

I am finding that being 60 seems to mean a real slowing down of my thought processes. It is so frustrating when I can't seem to find the right word for something that I am trying to express...for example: the other day when I met some of the Girlies for lunch the conversation got around to my pottery. I was attempting to tell them about how I had made cardboard cut-outs of some of my patterns to trace into the flat pottery. For some reason I could not come up with the word for those cardboard cut-outs...and neither could they! It seemed that the harder I tried, the more difficult it became.

Following lunch, we headed to see a movie. I found myself searching for the word throughout the movie! Aagh.

When the movie ended and none of us could think of the word, I actually called one of my (younger) sisters while we were still sitting there in the theater (kind of like a "call a friend" lifeline on the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" show). I figured that she was younger and probably had a clearer mind!

She did. The word that I was searching for was "template".

You can bet that I won't forget that one again.

template, template, template....

*****************************************************************************

Well, my Minnesota family is still in the process of trying to buy a new home. Bless their hearts, they have had a time with it all...but, hopefully, things will be moving in a positive direction soon.

The good news is that they have sold their present home.

The not-so-good news is that they have to be out of it by the end of this month...and, as of today, they still haven't solidified the contract on a new home.

Between the crazy home market, appraisals, inspections,etc. nothing has been easy.

Crossing my fingers for them today as the furnace in the possible "new" home is going to be inspected again.

Actually, I might even cross my toes today for a little extra good luck!

****************************************************************************

The hot topic today in the news seems to be about our First Lady wearing shorts while getting off of a plane.

C'mon people, can't we find more important things to discuss right now???

It's hot, she has great legs, and do we really care so much about her wardrobe? Grrrrrr.

****************************************************************************

Off to my studio downstairs to get to work....XOXO

3 comments:

JeanMac said...

I love your posts, like reading a letter from a friend.

listen for azure said...

Good afternoon (evening for you.)

I'm sending good thoughts to the home buyers, too. I want to hear how the pottery turned out!

Clara....in TN said...

If I had a body like Michelle Obama, I probably would wear shorts to church!!!!! :-) She looks great in anything she wears!