Wednesday, August 19, 2009

While walking on my treadmill this morning....

I had the television on one of the morning shows and there was a segment about friendship between two people of the opposite sex. The question was, can you stay "friends" without the relationship going further than friendship?

Most felt that it was impossible to do. I have mixed emotions about this question in that I have had some wonderful male friends through the years and there is nothing quite like it. Hearing things from a male perspective can be very telling and informative.

I absolutely adore my girlfriends and, heaven knows, they have always been there for me...and they can see things from the same viewpoint that I have-as a woman. However, that being said, since men are wired so differently (understatement!) it always proves interesting to hear things from another view.

One of the problems encountered with having male friends is that most of their female partners have an issue with the friendship and question its intent. And, I would think, vice versa...thus, not making the positives about the friendly relationship worth the drama that it might cause at home...and, that is a shame, but understandable.

*************************************************************************

Talking about friendship...the next time that someone questions why I am writing a blog, I will bring up how much larger my sphere of friends has gotten since becoming a blogger.

As I was heading into the shower this morning, I got a delightful call from the other end of the United States. It was an incredible woman that I have gotten to know through our blogs and emails. We connected immediately and became "instant friends". Even though we are separated by distance and 20 years (me being the older.... and wiser one...ha!!) we had exchanged phone numbers at one point.

Putting a voice to her written words was pretty amazing...she sounded exactly as I expected she would. She is a mother, I am a mother, she is divorced, I am divorced, etc. etc. Mainly, we are just two women trying to do our best every day by doing the right things and making our way through life's rough times as well as we can. We just somehow found ourselves connected in this vast cyberworld out there.

Lucky us...

*************************************************************************

Good news! I carefully opened the still hot lid of my kiln this morning...looking down nervously, lifting the pieces and shelves out with protected hands....and, all of the pottery pieces were intact! Phew.

Now I will put the clear overglaze on them and put them back in the kiln for another firing and the finishing touch. Seeing the thrown bowls come out okay encourages me to try my hand at wheel throwing again. It is a nice break from the hand-building, even though I am still more comfortable with the latter.

Isn't it crazy that a grown woman still gets excited (after 15 years of doing this) when nothing explodes in the kiln? Go figure.

************************************************************************

Today was "beautifying" day for me...and, boy did I need it! My grey roots were sprouting all over the place and my hair had gotten too long and shaggy...so, I went in for an overhaul....or, as I called it, "The Works". : )

The cut, total color, highlights and a purchase of some shampoo and spray and my piggy bank is feeling a whole lot lighter these days.

But, hey, you can't put a price on upkeep, right?

*************************************************************************

Upon returning home this afternoon I found an FTD box at my front door. Inside was a vase and a gorgeous floral arrangement. The note inside was absolutely lovely and signed with an A and a B.

I believe that I know the couple that it is from...but I haven't quite figured out what I have done to deserve this wonderful surprise.

What a nice mystery...

More tomorrow.

1 comment:

listen for azure said...

Flowers on your doorstep? That is most awesome!

Almost as good as a lovely phone call from a best-friend-in-the-making from across the street or across the counrty.

HUGS!