Thursday, October 08, 2009

My Day at Costco

Yesterday was my errand running day.

On the list was to go to Costco and stock up on some items...always an interesting event.

Why is it that suddenly I can't live without a 10 lb. bag of walnuts? I mean, I like walnuts...but, how many years will it take me to finish the bag? The neighborhood children may be getting little baggies of walnuts in their trick or treat bags this year....

As I was shopping I suddenly realized that it was way after lunchtime and I was beginning to get a headache. So, I headed to the famous Costco lunch counter. Hmmmm...do I want a slice of that pizza that has been sitting under the sun lamp? Or, how about that little rolled up fried thingy that seems to have veggies and, maybe, chicken in it? Polish sausage....? It looked good...but, no way could I devour all of that fat and cholesterol...not to mention the calories. I could always drink my lunch and get one of their smoothies? Then there were these long Mexican sounding items filled with heaven knows what.

But, my eyes stopped on the turkey roll up sandwich....turkey, tomatoes, lettuce and cheese with mayo and rolled up in a whole wheat wrap. Of course I asked for it without the mayo and the cheese...I don't eat much of either since taking meds for my high cholesterol.

"Sorry, M'am, but the sandwiches are already prepared" the woman said, "but there isn't much mayo on them." "Of course they were already prepared...what was I thinking? OK, I thought, I'll live dangerously today. (ha)"

So, I took my sandwich and water over to the eating area which is basically little picnic tables set up near the membership counter and in front of the car tire section. The first thing that I did was to unwrap the roll-up (bad idea) and remove as much of the cheese that I could. Putting it back together was kind of like trying to fold a map the way that it was originally...very difficult to do. I had noticed that the "little bit of mayo" was really quite a bit...so, while it was opened I used my napkin to remove some of the excess. I was making a mess at this point with the foil wrapper filled with pieces of cheese and mayo covered napkins....but, soon settled down to begin eating this delicacy.

As I glanced around at the other diners I noticed a table where four very elderly people were enjoying their lunch. Two of them were reading paperbacks while munching away. I heard the gentleman say to the other man..."we've been married so long that we have run out of things to say...so we read!" Cute.

Then I looked to see what the four of them were eating...polish sausage!!!!!!!!! They had relish and onions piled high on their bun and were voraciously snorfing down this huge, fatty, cholesterol-laden sausage as the juice was dripping down one of the women's chins. My mouth was watering watching them.

Here I was, probably 25 years younger than this group and I was deconstructing my sandwich to make it healthier. What was wrong with this picture?

I looked down at my little half put together turkey sandwich...and, suddenly, I wasn't so hungry anymore.

Plus, I had all of those walnuts to eat later.

**sigh**

1 comment:

Tabor said...

I admire you for your persistance in trying to eat healthy while eating out!