Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I should have gone to Costco....

It is ten p.m. and I just finished washing the last bowl from my "day of cooking". (yawn)

I thought that I would get a few things made before Mom comes in this weekend...and, the kids arrive next Wednesday. That way I could just go to the freezer and not have to spend the time cooking instead of visiting.

I had purchased some filo dough a few weeks ago in hopes of making some spanakopita on my own. When I told one of my girlfriends about my idea she said, "Are you crazy? Just go to Costco...they have delicious spanakopita and it is even on sale!"

But, stubborn me, I decided to go ahead and attempt to make these little spinach and feta stuffed delicacies on my own. Well, that was a bad idea...they took forever...and don't really even look like the cute little triangles that they are supposed to...but, they are tasty at least.

Of course, then I had the dilemma of what to do with the rest of the filo dough??? I decided to make an apple strudel. I peeled about 8 apples that I had in the refrigerator...sliced them really thin....tossed them with lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon and buttered each thin sheet of dough to hold the apple mixture. The one rolled up strudel did not really make a dent in all of the sliced apples that I had prepared...so, I ended up making three of them as well as four little individual strudels! I hope that everyone that's coming here for Thanksgiving likes strudel !!

I also made a big pot of lentil soup and several containers of butternut squash soup. They have all been cooled down and placed in the freezer awaiting the company.

So, after washing tons of bowls, spoons, pots and pans, I am finally sitting down to relax. I am exhausted....and quite full from tasting everything. **groan**

Oh, yeah, and did I mention that I decided to head to Costco tomorrow??? : )

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Sounds like everyone is going to eat well at your house. I have not even started to plan for TG.

JeanMac said...

Yum! I have used the pastry and said once is enough:)