Monday, November 16, 2009

Sometimes....

..the words come easily.

Other times I find myself sitting at my desk staring at the computer screen not knowing what to write.

Tonight, I have a lot of feelings inside of me...not sure that I can find the right words..but, I will try.

As I sit here I have one close girlfriend who spent part of her day at a beauty salon (opened especially for her) having her head totally shaved. The oncologist had let her know that her hair would start falling out after about two weeks of chemo...and, he was right on target.

She noticed that it was starting to thin out on Saturday and made the decision to have it all shaved off before it began to fall out in larger amounts.

Looking at the pictures that she sent tonight, I have to say that she looks beautiful--hair or no hair. And, the wig that she picked out earlier looked adorable on her.

A moment of comic relief occurred when the hairdresser shaved her remaining hair into a mohawk!

Not to worry, it was eventually all shaved off...leaving a big smile on my friend's face.

******************************************************************

Today, time was spent with another close girlfriend who is anxiously awaiting her appointment with her "cancer team" on Thursday.

Until then, she can only guess what the course of action will be taken for her newly diagnosed breast cancer.

She asked me today how it was for me to have two close girlfriends facing cancer at the same time.

It was an interesting question...and, a difficult one to answer.

Certainly, I would prefer that neither of them had to be faced with this life-changing challenge. Oh, how I wish that we could go back to how things were just a short month or so ago...before the cancer diagnoses were made. Of course, I pray for good health for all of the people that I love.

The course of things cannot be changed, so, of course, we must look ahead with positive energy and lots of hope. And, we are....and, will continue to do so until both of them hear that they are cancer free.

While these two beautiful women will be handling their journey in their own way, I am confident that each of them will fight the good fight with grace and determination. And, if the loving support of their family and friends means anything, they will both have very positive results in the months ahead.

So, with that all being said, how do I feel right now as I struggle to answer my friend's question? Honestly, I guess that I would say that I am: a bit scared, very touched, quite vulnerable, proud to be included in their group of close friends, somewhat anxious, filled with good thoughts, and amazed at the incredible power of our sisterhood.

I know today that none of us will ever be the same again....and, in many ways, that is not a bad thing. We are growing closer in the process and learning how very much we mean to each other...and, still believing that with love all things are truly possible.

4 comments:

Tabor said...

So sorry for your challenge. I am sure you are feeling somewhat helpless because you cannot get a hatchet and kill this disease once and for all so that your friends can go back to living 'normal' lives. You sound strong and devoted and that is what they need.

Granny Annie said...

My precious Sil is just a week away from beginning the loss of her hair. She told me that it is supposed to be painful as it begins to fall out. I'm not sure if she is going to have her head shaved or not. It was nice that your friend could have a private appointment to get hers taken care of.

You are saying so many things in your posts about your friend that relate to my feelings for my Sil. I am weak as I wish to unburden her from this in some way. She has always been the good one, the cautious one, the non-smoker, non-drinker, most understanding of her faith and the most empathetic to others needs so, I guess for that reason, she seems to be handling her cancer better than the rest of us are.

All we can do for our loved ones Grammie is "hold the bandages and ointment" as my parents used to say.

I'm with Tabor and wishing for a hatchet to kill the disease once and for all.

Winifred said...

It's so sad and you feel so helpless. All you can really do is be there for them when they need you.

adam max said...

Thinking about you!