Wednesday, January 06, 2010

134 beats per minute?

That was how fast my heart was beating this morning! Normal is around 60-90....

I should explain. I went and had the Reclast infusion done yesterday....nothing to it...the whole thing took about a half and hour and I was out of there.

I had heard about all of the possible side effects...flu like symptoms, fever, achiness, headache, etc. Well, I got them all...and, then some.

I tossed and turned all night with chills and fever but knew that I would be fine by morning.

Well, when I woke up this morning, I felt like I was "speeding". My heart was racing unbelievably. Of course, I quickly looked up Reclast online to see if that was one of the side effects. It wasn't listed under "common side effects" but I did find "rapid and erratic pulse" listed under the more serious side effects..

At that point, I took my pulse and it was averaging around 126 bpm. (yikes) I put a call in to the Reclast people and they seemed very interested in what was occurring with me....so they gathered lots of info from me...and, then suggested that I call my local physician.

My doctor was a bit concerned about the pulse that had now gone up to 134 bpm....she told me to go lie down for about 15 minutes and call her if it stayed high. It did...and, I did.

They worked me in to an already busy morning at their office so that the dr. could do an EKG on my heart to see what was going on.

Two and a half hours later (!!), I saw the doc. She assured me that the EKG was normal...but, the rapid heartbeat was not.

After a pretty thorough exam, she was still a bit baffled, but decided that it was either from A) the Reclast or B) the flu. She even tested me for the Swine flu...but, it came out negative.

The good news is that these symptoms should slowly disappear in the next few days...and, luckily, I only have to do this infusion once a year!

And, hopefully, my bone density will improve throughout the coming year! Statistically, it seems to be a wonderful new way to counteract osteoporosis.

I'm counting on that.......making all of this moaning and groaning worth it.... : O

1 comment:

Clara....in TN said...

EEWWW!!!! that sounds scary. I think I would rather have weak bones...I had never heard of Reclast.