Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Signs...

Sometimes the Universe sends out signs to me.

Before you put me away (!), let me explain...This whole "car journey" has been interestingly played out in a way that is making me think that it was meant to be.

Tossing and turning all last night, I began to think about whether to buy this car (see yesterday's post) or not. It would be the first big buy that I would be doing on my own since being divorced nine years ago and I feeling was quite anxious. It was at that point that I began to think about all of the positive signs that were being sent my way.

First was the timely phone call from the dealer that I had already spent some time with several months ago when I started to look at getting a new car. I test drove the Subaru...liked how it drove...but, had some concerns about the colors of the cars in that style as well as the interior. But, I was only able to look at the little swatches in the brochures and, the one car that they had on their lot....until yesterday...when I went....and, I found myself drawn to the sage green car in the showroom ....a color that I hadn't seen before. And, this particular car had everything that I ever wanted or needed in a car. It was pretty much made to order for me.

Prior to going there, I was having my hair cut and got into a discussion with the owner of the shop about Subaru's. "The best cars made!" he exclaimed, "and I have owned much more expensive cars....but, I absolutely love my Subaru the best!" It turns out that several of his family members drive Subaru's and wouldn't trade them in for anything but another Subaru. Also, two of my dearest friends owned a Subaru that they affectionately named "Subie" and had driven it for many, many years...hating to ever give it up.

Coincidentally, this morning's paper had a small article by Consumer Reports touting two makes of cars that won their highest praises....Honda and, yep, Subaru!

In thinking about the Forester, I also realized that this car is really perfect for me....it isn't fancy with lots of bells and whistles....it is comfortable, safe, and cute. It is just a good basic car...nothing extravagant...and not loaded down with a bunch of stuff that I really don't need. Simplistic and practical....kind of like me.

Amongst the other signs was this great comment that I received this morning from Granny Annie....one of my loyal readers. What she said really contained a lot of truth:

Granny Annie said... You have already found a place for it in your budget. You will worry if you buy it. You will worry if you don't buy it. Buy it and drive safely with a free two year maintenance agreement. WhooHoo!

Thanks, Granny! I loved your comment... it made a lot of sense to me and was another sign for me this morning.

I think that I am going to take a big step....

.......and buy the car today..

(gulp)

.......wish me luck! : )

2 comments:

Betty said...

I say go for it as well! I have driven a Subaru since 1980 - 3 to be exact. My current car is a 1994 Legacy with 390,000+ miles (the odometer stopped last summer at 379,000.) I agree car payments are to be avoided if possible but so are car repair bills. Happy driving!

Granny Annie said...

Plus, you can now blame ME if it doesn't work out. You don't even have to take responsibility. LOL