Sunday, February 27, 2011

A long, but inspiring day.....

Today started with my participation in the "Ovarian Cancer Cycle Ride to Change the Future".  As I slowly pedaled on the stationary bicycle, I couldn't help but remember this time a year ago when my dear friend was in the midst of a difficult chemotherapy for her newly diagnosed ovarian cancer.  She was weak from the chemicals being infused into her body.....her hair was gone.....and she was full of fear for her future.

Today, she is a strong women who is trying to get the word out to others about ovarian cancer.  She sports a beautiful short haircut that frames her smiling face perfectly.  She is healthy and cancer free.

This disease was new to all of us in my circle of friends and it hit us hard.  During this last year and a half since the discovery of her cancer, we have all learned so much about this insidious disease.  Most importantly, we have learned of the dire need to educate the public about the symptoms of ovarian cancer.

I am hopeful that this fund raising ride will help us find a way to detect ovarian cancer earlier and, even better....a possible cure....so that our children and grandchildren will not have to face this disease in their lifetime.
*******************************************************
After my ride, I headed over to a funeral.  My friend's father had passed away at the age of 92.  Just four months earlier I was standing in the same area mourning the passing of this same friend's mother.

While it was such a sad time for the family, I saw how lucky they all were to have their kids and siblings there with them to remember this wonderful man. As I listened to the eulogies, I realized what a full and wonderful life this gentleman had lived and what a beautiful legacy he had left for the family that he left behind.

I was saddened, touched and inspired.

The circle of life in its truest form.


1 comment:

Granny Annie said...

Your total empathy for the plight of others is so touching. It must be draining but so very rewarding and I am proud of your involvement.