Saturday, November 12, 2011

Four girls and a Mom....



                                                 (Marsha, Me, Sherri, Karen, and Mom)

What a wonderful five days I just had with my family.  My three sisters and I planned a surprise 89th birthday celebration for Mom down in Florida.  It was joyous to see her surrounded by all of the people in her life....and, to see how beloved she is.

By the time that I got ready to fly home we had lit candles on more than three different cakes and sung "Happy Birthday" at least that many times! 

We were all stuffed and pooped, but smiling....   : )

***************************************************************************
Smiling, that is, until I returned back home....

Unfortunately, while I was away this past week, I received some tragic news about a local girlfriend of mine.

It seems that what started as a sinus infection ended up becoming spinal meningitis....the bacterial kind, which is the most dangerous type to have. Once she got to the emergency room, she was in a coma....and, today, nine days later.....she remains that way.

It was surreal as I walked into her room in the intensive care unit with her husband.  This friend is generally very talkative and colorful....and, there she was....silent.  I spoke to her and stroked her arm, hoping that she might miraculously open her eyes and smile.  Of course, nothing of the kind happened, and I left there with a heavy heart.

So, now it is a horrific waiting game for my friend's family as they sit vigil at the hospital hoping and praying for her to come out of the coma and be alright. I can't even begin to imagine how very difficult this must be for them all...

The friends have organized a weekly prayer group as well as a system of bringing food to the family.  There is such a feeling of helplessness, that anything that we can do seems to help us get through this time.

If you have an extra moment during your day, please say a prayer for my friend, Gail.

Thanks...



3 comments:

Beverly said...

You must have enjoyed your mom's birthday so much. You girls are beautiful, as is your mom.

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I will pray for her. That has to be so hard for the family and for you. We never know what a day brings, do we.

Granny Annie said...

That picture of you, your sisters and your mom reflects the outer beauty as well as the inner beauty of each showing in those smiles. It had to be a monumental good time.

How sad to return to find your dear friend Gail in such a condition. Yes she will be in my prayers and hopefully you will return to us soon with good news of her recovery.

Susan Adcox said...

Lovely picture. Yesterday would have been my dad's 96th birthday. Instead of celebrating with him, we were signing papers to put his house on the market. So hug and love those parents while you still have them.