Thursday, February 14, 2008

hanging on...

Anxiety again took hold last night as my dad went back into surgery for the third time in a less than two weeks.

The perforated colon that had been repaired in surgery #2 was not holding and an ileostomy was called for.

I am, unfortunately, learning more medical jargon than I had ever desired to as I sit and search the Internet for answers to what is going on....and so much more.

How does an almost 90 year old man survive three serious surgeries?

This question kept running through my mind until I finally got the call at 11 something last night that he had, again, battled the odds and successfully made it through another surgery.

My world has become a bit blurred as I go through the day unsure of what is to be...living from phone call to phone call on updates that travel through my family like wildfire. I jump everytime the phone rings in anticipation of what the call will bring.

It is made even more difficult not being there...but, I have to accept the fact that life has to go on...bills have to be paid....taxes need to be prepared....classes have to be taught....and I thank God every minute for the family that is down there right now. I keep an eye on the flight schedules so that I can plan on heading down again at some point to relieve my sisters of some of their caretaking...

But, in the meantime, I wait.

I wait.

...and, I wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grammie,
My thoughts & prayers are with you during this time. I am glad you have your sisters to lean on. I went through something like you are experiencing with my Mom about 10 yrs ago and I just could not have made it without my 2 sisters and my brother. May God bless you and your family.

Paulette

Beverly said...

Thinking of you all.