Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Promise bracelets...

One of the things that my dad scrawled out on the pad while I was there was the message: "Stay connected"...

While we all made our own individual interpretations of his words...we were in agreement that he wanted me and my sisters to always stay close.

Even though I am in Birmingham, my oldest sister is in Atlanta, and the other two are there in West Palm Beach...we have always kept the distance closer by staying in touch with each other and remaining a big part of each other's lives.

So, with Dad's words in our hearts, we got together the night before I left for home and made bracelets. We strung beads and letters together to spell out the acronym: "AMHALFD".

Whenever my dad signed anything to my mom, he always ended it with "AMHALFA":"All my heart and love for always". We took this beautiful saying and changed it to AMHALFD: "All my heart and love for Dad".

We made our own individual bracelets and vowed to wear these every day until my dad is up and about again.

It was our way of promising him that we will always "stay connected"...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just catching up with you a bit - I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. Will keep you and your family in my thoughts.
Stella

Beverly said...

Your post is making me cry. How very lovely.

Beverly said...

Isn't it amazing how doing things like this bring such comfort???But, they do...