Saturday, August 02, 2008

Television "Wars"

Dave loves to watch all of the investigative crime shows. He finds them intriguing.

I don't.

I find them frightening at best.

Now this isn't an issue during the waking hours since I have more than one tv in my house and I can always go to another room and happily watch my reality shows, HGTV, the Food Network, Lifetime, etc. etc... : )

However, on the nights that he stays over, tv watching can become an issue.... in that Dave likes to go to sleep with the television on. It's not just that he likes the tv on....it's that he likes to watch these crime shows around bedtime.

I don't....on either count.

I prefer to go to sleep in a nice quiet atmosphere just listening to the sounds of nature outside my window (gently falling rain is the best!)....

However, that being said, after 5 1/2 years together, I have tried to accommodate his need by adapting to falling asleep with the sound of the tv in the background.

Most of the time I am way too tired to even think about it. But, sometimes it can make it a bit difficult for me to fall off to sleep....especially when the background noises are about crimes that have been committed....with frantic 911 calls....sirens....screams.....gory details of murders. "And, so, the victim's dismembered body was dug up from the farmer's field...."

Aaack!

When those nights occur, I have devised a little plan. I keep my remote right by my pillow when I go to bed. As soon as I hear his snoring heavy breathing I begin to ever-so-slowly lower the volume. I have found that if I aim the remote at my bureau mirror, it will deflect off of it and work on the tv.

Pretty clever, eh?

Not so fast with your praise....because, without fail, the minute that I attempt that-- he is suddenly wide awake!

"Why are you turning the volume down?" he asks. And, then he slowly turns the volume back up to where he can hear it again...

Within a few minutes, he is sound asleep again...and we go through the same steps over and over again.

Amazing.

The man was in a seemingly deep sleep just seconds before I made my move....and yet....somehow he manages to become totally awake as soon as I pick up my remote and adjust the volume a bit. (I think that this is a guy thing!?)

So, there I am, trying to fall asleep to the sounds of crime coming through my tv's stereo speakers!

I have now decided to go to Plan B....either buy myself some little earplugs....or purchase one of those headsets that can plug directly into the tv so that he can listen to whatever he wants without it affecting me. I think that I will go online right now and see what is out there....

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

JeanMac said...

Oh, too funny! Good luck finding a
"cure".

Gattina said...

Hi Granny, it's a long time I haven't been here, but I think you left a comment on my blog saying that you had difficulties to load it. I then came back to you, but the comments didn't work, then I went on holidays and forgot. Today I have time to catch up ! I can't believe it how Owen has grown ! I still remember when he was just born ! Now he is a little boy and not a baby anymore, time really flies by ! and if I understand well he also has got a little sister ! Is that so long that we haven't heard of each other ?
My blog opens well with Firefox, IE doesn't work very well with Blogger apparently. I have read this many times. That's why I don't use it anymore either.

Beverly said...

my bet is the earphones for him...of course he will probably have them on so loud you can still hear it.
I feel for you!