Saturday, July 10, 2010

As I began to peel the ripened mango....

...my mouth began to water at the thought of eating the delicious summer fruit that was in front of me.

Yes, the temperatures are hovering in the high 90's, making it feel like walking into an oven when one steps outside. The weeds are flourishing in the warmth and the lawn cries out for mowing more than ever. My daily walks have now moved inside the house on my treadmill. The mosquitos are everywhere stalking their next human prey. One cannot get their car air conditioning on fast enough after it has been sitting outside in the sun.

Yes, summertime can be sweaty, itchy and, even oppressive at times....HOWEVER, there are also so many delights that come with the season: the trees and shrubs that were dormant all winter are bursting with beautiful flowers; the joyous sounds of the many birds enjoying the summer warmth fill the air; the heat gives us a great excuse to be a little lazy; and summer's bounty includes deliciously sweet fruit!

So, this morning, I found myself cutting up fresh mango, cantelope, watermelon, strawberries, and a nectarine...putting it all in a big bowl...and digging into the delectable tastes of summer.

Ah.

"Live in each season as it passes: breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit." – Henry David Thoreau

No comments: