Saturday, December 18, 2010

Remembering when mine were this age...


Wasn't it just yesterday that I was a new mommy?
I remember the cooing sounds, the wonderful new baby smells, and, the little fingers wrapped tightly around mine. Oh, and those delicious giggles when I would tickle their bellies...I recall those sweet, little eyes looking up at me while having their bottle and the delight that they got when a musical toy was playing nearby. Then there was the joy watching them discover this big, new world that they were now a part of.  It allowed me to see things through the eyes of a child...and, I liked what I saw.
I embraced my role as a mom and truly loved it.

As I watch Janet and Jeffrey, I am also reminded of how bringing up children is a twenty-four hour, never-ending job. I realize again that these early years are a time of great importance as many life lessons will be learned. Our children watch our every step and hear our every word as they begin to grow and develop. Everything revolves around the children...free time is at a minimum.

As the years go by, I guess that we forget that other side of parenthood.  Maybe this is because bringing up our children can be the most unbelievably joyous time of life.  As I sit here wondering where the time has gone, I realize that the years erase the difficulties and we are left with all of the sweetest memories...

And, for those memories, I am most grateful.

1 comment:

Granny Annie said...

Thank you for that reminder of the most joyous of times in my life -- that of raising my children. Now they are both the most wonderful parents to my precious grandchildren. I was a single parent from the time my children were 3 and 4. I asked my son once if he regretted not having a father figure in his life and he responded that he had a "parenting figure" in me. The best compliment I ever received. Isn't it the saddest thing when you know of people who do not rejoice in their children?