Sunday, January 09, 2011

The grocery store was mobbed yesterday as the news began to spread about our upcoming snow and ice!

This is just what we do in the South.  We don't know any better, I guess. 

The parking lot at my local Publix was almost totally filled as I drove around looking for a space to park. Once inside, the looks on the shopper's faces was so funny that I could hardly keep from laughing.  I was trying to think about how I would describe their look....anxiety? fear? excitement? concern? anticipation?

Maybe it was just delight at the fact that the impending "winter storm" was a great excuse to stock up on lots of things that they might never eat otherwise!  I had a good time peeking into their baskets to see what others were buying...and, then looking up and giving the shopper that "knowing" glance. : )

Of course, I really shouldn't make fun of them because there I was following right along....pulling things off of the shelf that didn't even make sense.  But, I found myself in a kind of shopping trance thinking that it may be months before we thaw out from this "huge" storm! ha ha Who was I kidding?  The temps are forecast to reach the 40's by Tuesday!

However, there I was with my basket filled with some of the following: Romaine lettuce and some tomatoes(the only healthy thing on my mind was possibly making a salad), a big ole bag of marshmallows and a box of Rice Krispies (Rice Krispy squares, anyone?---and, what about some hot cocoa with marshmallows melting on top?), a huge loaf of cinnamon raisin bread (mmmmm), some claw crabmeat (to make a delish appetizer while we are sitting by the fire, sipping wine and watching the snow!?), some of my favorite Ranch flavored rice cakes (oh yeah), crackers for the appetizer, snickerdoodle cookie mix (cookies to go with the hot cocoa and marshmallows) and, of course, some apples (boring).

So, $52.69 later, I was heading home with a smile on my face knowing that I was ready for anything!

Right?

Bring it on, Mother Nature.  : )

No comments: