Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Free Hugs


While out shopping yesterday I came upon two young men (they looked to be about in their 20's) carrying a simple, handmade sign that said, "Free Hugs".

I had heard about this being done in other places so I approached them gingerly with arms outstretched to collect my hugs. (At this point, people who know me well are shaking their heads as they read this saying, "That sounds just like her to do that!")  : )  What can I tell you? I wouldn't ever pass up a chance for a free hug!

Anyway, I got my hugs.....we exchanged smiles....they thanked me....and, got ready to move on....when I noticed a small, worn cardboard box that one of the guys was holding.  It said "hugs for tornado victims" and there were a few bills and assorted amounts of change inside of it.

Being a (naive?) believer in the goodness in people...and, hoping that these funds were really going to the tornado victims, I reached for my wallet, pulled out a couple of dollars...and placed them in the box.

Small price to pay for a warm and friendly hug. : )










2 comments:

Granny Annie said...

Oh my goodness, you ARE just like my sister. She believes any sob story. I, on the other hand, do not appreciate any hugs from strangers and do not trust anything written on cardboard signs.

(I often wish I could be more like you and my sis.)

Pheromone Girl said...

Girls, I am the biggest sucker on the planet, and know it. SO, to be reasonable, I keep small bags of dog food in my trunk and hand them out to hungry pups and their homeless owners downtown.

It fills my hole of good deeds, and keeps the puppies tummies full. Oh, and nobody buys gin with my dog food, I think :-)

Hi, by the way - I haven't visited in a bit!